Museum Burg Zug
Kirchenstrasse 11
CH-6300 Zug
T +41 (0) 41 728 29 70
info@burgzug.ch
 

Tour bookings (private)

 

Opening hours
Tue – Sat 2 - 5 pm
Sun 10 am - 5 pm
Mon closed

Your suggestions and wishes
 

Newsletter
Ms.       Mr.



subscribe

Collection

Stained glass

From the 16th to the 18th centuries, the City of Zug was one of the most important centres for the production of small scenic and heraldic stained-glass panels. In the 15th century it became customary to donate stained-glass window panels to be incorporated in new or renovated buildings, and to include the donor’s name in the picture: so-called cabinet panels. Allegorical, biblical and historical scenes were the usual subjects, but also portrayals of the professional or private lives of the donors. When this custom dies out shortly before 1800 the panels were sold – often abroad. The nucleus of the sizeable collection of stained-glass panels consists of earlier acquisitions, to which a further 132 panels were added in 1962, when Zug Corporation purchased them from a private collector in England and brought them back to Zug.

1 2 3 4 5 6