Museum Burg Zug
Kirchenstrasse 11
CH-6300 Zug
T +41 (0) 41 728 29 70
info@burgzug.ch
 

Tour bookings (private)

 

Opening hours
Tue – Sat 2 - 5 pm
Sun 10 am - 5 pm
Mon closed

Your suggestions and wishes

Accessibility

 

Newsletter
Ms.       Mr.



subscribe

Collection

  • Sammlung 13
  • collection 15
  • collection 16
  • collection 17
  • collection 22
  • collection 18
  • collection 19
  • collection 20
  • collection 23
  • collection 21

Collection history (and stories)
The Zug Castle collection comprises approximately 50,000 historical artefacts connected with the history of Canton Zug from the Middle Ages up to the present. The oldest object in the collection, a small container made of bone and horn, has been dated to the 10th/11th centuries. Some of the most recent objects are items linked with the public initiative for affordable housing which was held in Zug on 21st May 2017. Only a fraction of the collection can be shown in the permanent exhibition or in external presentations like the halberds, for instance, which are on display in the Pulverturm tower on Zugerbergstrasse, or the portraits on display in Zug city hall. The majority of objects from the collection are stored at the museum repository for cultural goods.

The origins of the collection date back to the 19th century. The precursor to today’s Historical Association of Canton Zug, founded in 1852, began collecting antiquities in 1876. From 1879 onwards, these were put on public display in Zug city hall. The collection was significantly expanded between 1902 and 1906 when the holdings of the Zug arsenal, another collection of military objects and stained glass, was added. The Officers’ Association of Canton Zug also amassed a collection of uniforms and weapons, which were displayed in one of the rooms of city hall. Between 1903 and 1946, the Association of Zug Citizens took over the running of city hall. After that time, the objects were kept in various storage facilities, until Zug Castle Museum opened its doors under the guidance of a board of trustees in 1982. The board became the guardians of the collections of the Association of Zug Citizens, the Municipality and Zug Corporation and of other cultural goods belonging to the cantonal government.

In the period before the museum opened, the collection had also been continuously expanded by means of acquisitions and donations. Permanent loans from the Catholic parishes of Baar, Cham, Menzingen, Neuheim, Unterägeri and Zug form another large part of the collection.

The latest acquisitions pertain to the more recent history of Zug and document the canton’s industrialisation. This includes a collection of industrial goods, which was amassed by the Lorze Industrial Trail and entrusted to the care of the Department of Monument Conservation of Canton Zug. The museum also acquired various items from the former municipal police service.

From the beginning, certain very special objects were purchased, including the container mentioned earlier, which was acquired in 1918 for the sum of CHF 75. Today, the museum seeks out particular objects to fill gaps in the collection, which led to the acquisition in recent years of several Zug stained-glass works.

Besides whole collections, individual objects were also acquired from the outset. Whilst one of the first curators of the museum, assistant pastor Paul Anton Wickart, was attempting around 1900 to motivate potential donors by means of newspaper advertisements to make donations or loans, the collection is now being selectively expanded.