Museum Burg Zug
Kirchenstrasse 11
CH-6300 Zug
T +41 (0) 41 728 29 70
info@burgzug.ch
 

Tour bookings (private)

 

Opening hours
Tue – Sat 2 - 5 pm
Sun 10 am - 5 pm
Mon closed

Your suggestions and wishes

Accessibility

 

Newsletter
Ms.       Mr.



subscribe

Collection areas

  • collection 4
  • collection 5
  • collection 6
  • collection 7
  • collection 10
  • collection 8
  • collection 9
  • collection 7
  • collection 11
  • collection 12

The Museum Burg Zug has a comprehensive collection of historically valuable objects and includes the followin areas:

Stained glass
From the 16th to the 18th centuries, the City of Zug was one of the most important centres for the production of small scenic and heraldic stained-glass panels. Allegorical, biblical and historical scenes were the usual subjects, but also portrayals of the professional or private lives of the donors. The nucleus of the sizeable collection of stained-glass panels consists of earlier acquisitions, to which a further 132 panels were added in 1962, when Zug Corporation purchased them from a private collector in England and brought them back to Zug.

Collection of prints and drawings
A further focal point of the Museum’s collection is a vast array of prints and drawings covering a variety of subjects. They include numerous views of the City and Canton of Zug, some of them masterfully executed. Other important subjects are historical scenes, portraits and reproductions of traditional costumes. The collection includes almost all the known print reproductions of entire or partial views of the City of Zug. The prints, among them a woodcut of the City from the Stumpf Chronical dated 1548, and numerous sketches and drawings, record the development of and changes to the townscape over the centuries and up to the present day.

Industrial history
In recent years, greater emphasis has been placed on collecting objects associated with Zug’s industrial past. In the 19th and 20th centuries important Swiss companies were established in the City and Canton of Zug, some of which developed into enterprises of international importance, whose legacies live on to this day. These industrial witnesses to Zug's cultural heritage must be protected in their role as unique carriers of cantonal identity. In Canton Zug the Lorze Industrial Trail carried out pioneering work by assembling an extensive collection of industrial objects. It includes products made by well-known Zug companies such as Landis & Gyr, the Zug Metal Works, the watch manufacturer Inducta, the wooden crate factory, or Erika, a company that manufactured prams. This collection is today in the care of the Zug Castle Museum.

Collection of coins and medals
Coins were minted in Zug from 1564 to 1805.  Before 1700 they were mainly minted for export and not for local use. The museum boasts the most extensive collection of Zug coinage in Switzerland today. It consists of the museum’s original holdings and the Luthiger collection which was acquired in 2005. It had been accumulated by three generations of a Zug family of chemists and now represents the main bulk of the entire coin collection. Besides coins the collection also contains a large and important selection of Zug medals.

Portraiture
Generations come and go. They leave behind the artefacts they made and used as well as images of themselves. The museum collects these portraits in the same way that written documents associated with historical figures are collected by state archives. The Zug artist Franz Josef Menteler (1777-1833) painted more than 800 portraits in total, and this number would later be superceded by the portrait artist Josef Stocker (1825-1908), who painted as many as 1800 portraits. The extensive portrait collection reflects Zug society over a period of several centuries.

Portait archive – in remembrance of our ancestors
portraitarchiv.genealogie-zentral.ch
The project aims to build a database containing personal portraits of our ancestors. The objective of the portrait archive is to record personal pictures with names and biographical data for posterity. The archive is a participatory platform similar to Wikipedia. All are encouraged to upload pictures and data, to save them, or to use the search function to find a particular picture among tens of thousands of entries. The collections of the Zug Castle Museum include many deathbed portraits from Zug families that are contained in the portrait archive.

Marianne Blatter's photographic legacy
A whole generation of Cham residents were captured on camera by the local photographer Marianne Blatter (1920-2004) between 1949 and 1995. Approximately 100,000 negatives, together with the order book, have provided the people of Cham with an invaluable assemblage of portrait photographs from the second half of the 20th century. However, the photographer’s estate not only comprises a collection of negatives, but also includes objects from her studio and photo shop. In addition, a video was shot at her house, which shows the photo laboratory and other rooms in their original state, and explains her working methods. The video provides an interesting insight into the era of analogue photography.

The legacy of the tiled-stove fitters Keiser
The stove-fitting workshop Keiser was in operation in Zug from 1856 to 1938. It was well known beyond the local region for restoring historical tiled stoves – for example for the Swiss National Museum in Zurich – and for creating replicas of old stoves. The workshop mainly produced stoves in the Winterthur style and later also in the rococo and art nouveau styles. The extended clientele even included the King of Romania. The Keiser estate consists of stove tiles, various types of pottery, casting moulds and tools, and an extensive archive of documents, specialist publications, drafts and plans for stoves as well as patterns for tile designs.

The legacy of church artist Fritz Kunz
Born in Einsiedeln, Fritz Kunz (1868-1947) would go on to become one of the most important Catholic church artists in the German-speaking part of Switzerland in the first half of the 20th century. Some of his best-known works can be seen in the Liebfrauenkirche church in Zurich and the Catholic Parish Church in Romanshorn. In 1919 he came to live in Zug. His estate consists of oil paintings, large-scale chalk sketches as well as small coloured sketches for altar, wall and ceiling paintings and for stained-glass panels, study sheets, sketch books and work photographs. The extensive collection of pictures and sketches includes important works from each period of his creative work.

Sacred art
The collection includes works from the High Middle Ages to the 20th century. One important group is made up of objects from the Late Middle Ages, including some remarkable items such as sandstone figures from the choir buttresses of neighbouring St. Oswald’s church and two tower monstrances. Originally most of the artists and craftsmen came from outside of Zug, but this changed during the Baroque period, when the work was carried out by a number of local painters, sculptors and goldsmiths. The latter in particular achieved a standard that was recognised nationally, with their expertise demonstrated particularly in silver sculptures in the round. Apart from the Catholic church, private donors also commissioned works of religious art. Many of the precious works of art are on permanent loan from the local Catholic parishes.

Reference collection of seal impressions
The collection, assembled by Paul Ernst Guckenberger between 1950 and 1965, is one of the most extensive of its kind. Guckenberger received scientific and technical support from the Swiss National Museum. Apart from several original seals and seal stamps, the collection consists mainly of seal impressions. No less than 8,200 are catalogued according to their subject matter, ranging from the church to the monarchy, the nobility, bourgeois dynasties, the Swiss Confederation, towns and cities, schools, associations and guilds. The collection also contains 12,000 duplicates and negatives. The geographical emphasis is on the territory of the Swiss Confederation and on southern Germany. Guckenberger's collection started in Central Switzerland, which prompted Zug Corporation to purchase the collection in 1971. It was presented to the museum in 1975.